Let's learn how businesses are managed!
Let's go on tour!
Lets get business leaders into our classroom to tell us their stories!
Essential Evaluations: the BIG 4
1. Case Study:
Format for Case Analysis.
1. Ignite Case.
2. Garden Remote Case.
3. Instalunch Case.
Marking rubric for Case Study.
Simple/sample case applying the case format. MS-word format.
Due Thursday, November 2, 2017. Late deductions apply.
Hand in during our class. Printed.
2. Interview a People Manager:
Your final submission must include:
Your first and last name.
The name and title of the person you interviewed.
The name of the company involved.
Shared Google Doc where students can brainstorm additional questions.
Examples of how to link interview questions to the course:
one, two, three, four, five.
Due Monday, January 22, 2018.
3. Presentation: 3 parts
A) Super short Warm up: Formative
Introduce yourself using the breathing approach encouraged by the
Harvard Business Review:
Breathing Is the Key to Persuasive Public Speaking.
Next, read a provided short speech.
YouTube: Jim Carrey, cue 10:10, Steve Jobs. See the '3 parts' document above for more detail.
Choice: If you can't engage in either of the above two ideas, find one you can commit to.
Sheet of evaluation sheets for this first experience.
B) 1-2 minute Inspirational Business Quote [IBQ]. Formative/summative.
Stand at the podium and pitch an inspirational business quote. Then add to that statement for a maximum of 1-2 minutes! Your goal is to hit your announced target + or - 15 seconds.
Include one or more links to our course.
You will do well because you have practiced a well written script!
Need a quote? Google: "inspirational business quotes".
Mr. Morris will provide more detail to help you. And complete instructions appear in the header above. Here is an example that Mr. Morris wrote in October of 2015.
Video example: IBQ Take 1, Take 2
Mark Rubric for IBQ pitch. Multiple per page version for class handout.
C) 5-7 minute business style presentation: Summative.
Follow the provided instructions to create a multi-slide PowerPoint or Google presentation. Your goal is to hit the target you pick plus/minus 30 seconds.
Get Mr. Morris to approve your topic. Almost any topic (including non-business) can be tackled.
Presentation dates: Thursday, Jan 11 - Thursday, Jan 18, 2018, inclusive.
Computer time: December 11 - 14 inclusive. (Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs).
Maximum of 6 presentations per day. Sign up soon.
Be careful to review rubric and hand in required material ahead of presentation.
Here are some other potential topics:
Key to this presentation is linking course material to your topic.
Review the rubric.
Use your creativity to craft your presentation OR use the provided shell which covers a....
Greatest Business Leader example presentation. pdf
Greatest Business Leader example presentation. pptx.
This prez includes the rubric at end.
Do an 'Ignite' presentation. 20 slides in 5 minutes = 15 seconds per slide; auto advance!
Interested? Talk to Mr. Morris. You will likely discuss questions like: What if I fall behind? Why is it so dramatic? If I'm behind, do I cut my script or race? How critical is rehearsal to get it right? How do I get confident that I can do this?
To be announced. There will be NO exam.
You are responsible for Ambulance service in WR.
What will you do with this....
'Our paramedics are people and not machines:'
Union says lack of paramedics in region. CTVNews 2:45
Jim Balsillie: The illusion of certainty. Wiki on Balsillie
Homework #1: Ask a Parent or Guardian these two questions:
1. Who was your best manager ever and why?
2. Who was your worst manager ever and why?
Get into a discussion. Ask more questions. What else can we learn from their experiences?
Do NOT report the best/worst manager names.
(Why did I demand this?)
Report your answers including meaningful headings and no more than 1/2 a page of paper.
Less is more.
Edit it to make it better.
Have a friend edit it.
Make this the best work you have ever created.
Hand it in with pride.
PPT: Typical day of a Manager, Katz, simplified Org Chart, POLC. Recommendation on note taking.
Wiki on Mintzberg. Read heading:
"Contribution to business strategy theory"
Singing from the IBM Song Book:
Discussion of new trends in business. Eg. work-life balance expectation.
Shopify Inc. (TSX:SHOP)(NYSE:SHOP) is arguably Canada’s hottest stock right now. It’s a high-flying tech stock that many call the Canadian Amazon.com, Inc. Shares have skyrocketed over a short period, and there’s nothing but optimism in the headlines.
A) Globe and Mail article on Tobi Lütke.
Questions from the Shopify article (MS-Word).
And a pdf version of the same.
Tip: to easily edit a pdf, copy the material and then when you right click (eg into Google Docs) select "Paste without formatting"
Shopify sets up shop in Waterloo.
Shopify and the Breitbart issue.
B) Shopify's e-commerce empire is growing in Amazon's shadow. Aug, 2017. The Record.
C) Shopify: student directed.
120. Busy Manager:
Review of City of Toronto Mayor (David Miller) Schedule.
Managerial activities: worksheet analysis
130. Create a Basketball League:
Apprentice Basketball league.
Presentation tips. Formative evaluation.
200. Plan, Control Systems
210. Competitive Advantage:
Ambrosia Pastry primer
220. Types of Plans:
Strategy, City Café Bakery (in class article),
Shopfy approach to SWOT. Tailored shirt case.
SWOT analysis form. The Shopify SWOT form.
Barbarian Rugby Wear. Video.
230. Mintzberg, Costco:
001. Mintzberg quotes.
002. Mintzberg Strategic Planning Fallacies.
003. Mintzberg thoughts on SWOT. [ctrl F 'SWOT']
004. Mintzberg Questions from COSTCO Article.
005. How great leaders inspire action. 29M views, 17:57
006. Jack Welch and Herb Kelleher [Dropbox] PPT. PDF version
007. Morris' bulletin board.
008. Forget Business School, Just Watch These 10 TED Talks.
Option: The Digital dilemma. Great merger study.
240. Decision Tree X 3:
A decision tree is a decision support tool that uses a tree-like graph or model of decisions and their possible consequences, including chance of event outcomes, resource costs, and utility.
Google 'Decision Tree' and look at the images.
1. Decision Tree demo: Nadeau Laser
2. Bart Morris: Science Degree or Work?
3. Emma Timms: Snow plow case.
250. Gantt Chart, Business Conference
Gantt PPT including task. Sample pdf of Brochure
Student Gantt Chart example.
2016 student example featuring Nathan!
Blank Gantt Excel Chart starting point. PDF version
260. Blackberry passport Profit Case:
Check this out later! Answers.
Blackberry stock price. Blackberry timeline.
270. Break Even: Note
Note in PPT form for highlighting.
Original Rzor Scooter Case.
New version of the Rzor Scooter case showing how 'continuous improvement' can play a role in everything we do!
280. Budget and payroll cost:
Excel Student budget.xls. PDF version.
Exercise: ISM Budget Forecast 2015 in Excel.
Exercise: Personnel Cost of ISM Corporation in Excel.
DRAFT: Exercise Mr. Morris is working on.
300. Organize, Culture
310. Hire well warm up:
001. Companies struggle with shortage of sales talent.
002. IBM Test.
003. Public Service Commission of Canada
General Office Skills sample test
Other tests you may want to try.
General Competency Test
004. 10 Key Interview Questions.
320. Job Design:
001. Human Resources Objectives.
002. Objectives of job design: Job Sat, Task, Herzberg.
003. Exercise: Work Design research. Now in Googledocs.
004. Fall 2017 pdf from class.
330. PE, PD, PIP, Control, How to fire.
001. Teacher Note. 5 pages.
PDF version of Teacher Note. 2 pages.
002. Recent trends in employee evaluation.
1. What's new vs old PE/PD?
2. What's big: Hygiene or Content? Which theorist are we thinking about here.
3. What do millennials want?
4. What is the new role a manager must take on?
How does this play out at Deloitte?
5. What's up with 'rating systems'?
Key: can you spot the bias in the above article?
003. HBR: The tug-of-war between accountability and development over the decades.
One questions. What is the problem with traditional PE programs!?
004. Why you will fail to have a great career | Larry Smith | TEDxUW340. 14:59
005. How to fire someone. Google Drive Slide show, G&M
Daniel Pink PPT. PDF version. 2 videos at bottom are good too.
Edward Deming. 6:08 comments on merit pay.
Game: Throw a ball.
Need for Ach PPT and PDF verson.
Lincoln Electric. HBS best selling case. Hand Out with questions.
Observable culture X 4.
Why we need to teach our kids how to fail. Amanda Lang
Questions for above article.
Startup Language. Matching exercise.
BufferBox, Pivot, FAILURE (P&G adv)
Michael Litt U of W TEDxUW talk on failure. 10:28
The Communitech Foundry opens!
Digital Dreams: Corey Vidal 13:42
Hacksmith video. KCI neighbour! 19:11
The fish philosophy. 2:45
360. DeBono, Matthew Barrett & BA.
Elevator wait times!
Lateral Thinking. Used car checklist (CAF)
Final Decision. Woman may move to Ottawa.
Matthew Barrett. CEO Barclays, former CEO BMO
IDEO Deep Dive.
Innovation example pill pack.
RYLO video camera. Shoot first, Frame second. Launched Nov 1, 2017.
Video of new Wal-Mart concept truck. Skip the end part.
Video of self driving truck with emphasis on air flow. Try 4:00
Video of Uber owned 'Otto' self driving truck.
Uber resumes self-driving cars after accident in Arizona.
IDEO: 13 ways to make your workspace more creative.
Let's apply above to KCI. Shared file.
001. Introduction to Quality. Student Slides.
003. Deming in Japan. Total 6:55
004. Questions on Deming.
Option: Morris reads a story of Deming's early life and work style.
005. Deming videos: humour
3:40 Orchestra, 4:30 Bears.
6:12 Merit pay, 7:00 Consultants.
006. Steve Jobs on Quality. 19:18 total. Watch for long thoughtful pauses.
Bonus: Steve Jobs's Top 10 Rules For Success. Start at 6:43, go to 10 min.
PDF guide for above 2 videos AND Gilbreth below.
Bonus: Highlights from Juran on Quality Leadership
Bonus: Nissan favours dramatic change over incremental improvements.
007. Keyboards: Groups for spring 2017. Groups fall 2017
Frank Bunker Gilbreth and Lillian Moller.
See 006 above for summary.
008. Summary of Gilbreth/Moller contribution video (Therbligs) 3:24
009. People hate the Time and Motion man. 11:16. Stop at 4:30
010. Cheaper by the dozen black and white movie trailer.
Play actual movie, chapter 7 (bathtub), then slide to 26:03 (operation), 47:27 stop watch.
WIKI. Woman of the year....
011. Cheaper by the Dozen movie trailer. Steve Martin plus....
390. Organization Charts
How the office really works. Cole and O'Brien.
Matrix organization. Two bosses. Do it!
Span of Control example. Is 28 reports too many?
KW example: Park Motorhomes
ISM Corporation: 19 questions.
PowerPoint as a tool to edit Organization Charts:
First Demo of manipulating Org Charts using PPT.
Manage the changes to the KCI Pushup Club:
PDF of changes to be made: INSTRUCTIONS.
Starting point: PPTX file. Same file in PDF form.
Here is the actual club: kcipushupclub.weebly.com
Blank PPT Organization Chart. Design an org chart for our class.
395. Mechanistic vs. Organic structure:
Mechanistic organization chart to display on BB.
Factors in organizational design.
400. Unions (and NAFTA)
410. Labour Unions:
Factors to consider as we study:
001. Nafta warm-up. 9:03
002. Future of work. Deloitte. 3:34
003. Future of work. Time magazine.
004. Wage gap: Women vs Men. Chart. Economist article.
005. Unions: Introductory PPT pdf
006. Negotiation: Ford negotiator wins support with talking, not fighting. Possible questions from the above article.
Relieved union promotes new pact.
420. Union Contract Analysis.
43 Questions to answer! Website showing contract.
430. The Negotiator.
500. Teams, Communicate, Negotiate
510. Groups: Roles, Consensus, Cohesion.
Roles to be one focus of movie 12 Angry Men (550)
The benefits of a walking meeting. Review how to...max 3.
Instructions on consensus Overhead.
520. Communication, Perception, Baffle-gab:
April 25, 2017. Justin Trudeau at vidyard.
Paul Martin meets with Stephen Harper: Picture
Trump meets Obama
Joshua Bell plays violin in subway.
News report to 1:30.
$3.5M violin. Watch:23 to 1:25
Office design: Elon Musk
Re-Write poorly written copy.
Bafflegab PPT. PDF version of Bafflegab PPT.
530. Team. Brainstorming. HO with 5 questions.
The power of 4.6. The Beatles.
Old Beatles. Early Group. 2:55. 1,447,118 views
Later Beatles. Mature Group. 3:31. 36,693,295 views.
540. Camping trip:
Mr. Morris takes his awesome class on an imaginary camping trip!
Camping trip worksheet
550. 12 Angry Men.
Positional Bargaining. Haggling at a garage sale
Printed Morris summary of next two videos:
Getting to yes youtube with author William Ury (at Google).
52:56. Start at 3:25. Watch for about 20 minutes.
TED talk: The walk from “no” to “yes”. William Ury 19:15
Play from start. End by viewing 10:20 on benefits of walking meetings. (see 510, SJ)
Science of persuasion. Animated video. 11:50
Oranges. Group Selector. Writing a good contract hints.
Spring 2017 groups.
Getting to yes video.
Disgraced leaders. Shared DOC, screen print 1/12 + more detail.
Introductory PPT, 1pg pdf of PPT. Kahoot! x 2
PPT has now been moved to Google Drive. Students to update.
Formal vs Informal organization.
Leadership vs Power.
Sources of Power.
Paper option: Leadership Test, Tim Cook article.
Intro: Mouton, Vroom, Hershey-Blanchard.
Read: Why first-borns strive to be first in life.
Case: 12 engineers. Manager must pick 4 for an overseas assignement.
Situation Leadership. Old school overheads!
What style are you? Hands on test.
Movie: Remember the Titans. Worksheet.
Old school VHS: Dick Lohr.
Harvard Business review (HBR):
1. Why aren't you delegating?
2. Make time for the work that matters.
WikiHow on Delegation.
Carl Holmes firefighter article.
Eisenhower time management matrix.
Time management workshop.
640. Lean on me: Leadership.
Six Tricky Employee Types.
Keep your goals to yourself. 3:08
Course summary Kahoot!
700. Ethics, Diversity, e-commerce
710. Ethics: Morris Dropbox PPT.
001. Cartoons to spur discussion.
003. 4 cases.
004. Top business ethics stories: 2015
(above using search string: current Canadian business ethical dilemmas)
Group report: "Ethics exploration 2017" in shared Drive folder.
a) Summary of situation.
b) Factors to consider.
c) Your position.
730. Diversity gives you CA.
Google Drive presentation
Web design activity. Can we communicate what we want to the programmers? (PDF version for viewing prior to download)
Screencastify demonstration of how to use Weebly.
Top secret area:
This area is a dumping ground for special files. Mr. Morris will explain.
1. Miovision introductory manifesto. View the short movie.
2. Startup Miovision raises $30M in push to reduce commute times.
From the article: a) Industrial cell phone and antennae--what's the story? b) Benefits of their solution.
3. Miovision traffic (ATSPM) flashcards. Review the 15 metrics used in this business.
4. Then this happened. What's the story in this link?
5. Kurtis McBride is a co-Founder of Catalyst137. Outline the mission. Search everywhere online! Find some unique facts or observations to share with the team.
Graham Oliver Tim Horton's visit preparation:
Use the red website at right to answer the questions below: Tim Horton's
1. What happened with Dark Roast? Something about a new flavour.
2. Profile the parent company: Restaurant Brands International. (RBI)
3. Profile the top management of RBI. Google search the CEO if necessary.
4. How many steps are there before I can become a franchisee? What does it cost? What else should I know? Provide the key things you would want to tell a friend considering jumping in.
5. What is their market share of the Canadian Coffee market?
6. Is there MSG in TH's coffee? (Skip this question if you find it trivial!)
7. I've been terminated. Can I complain to Head Office? What will they do to help me?
8. Is TH's accessible to people living with disabilities?
9. What does TH's think of MBA's? What do they offer MBA's?
10. Here is a link to one of their public reports required because they are traded on the stock exchange: report. What part of SWOT are they dealing with here? Do you agree with their list of 4 items?
11. Report on other key findings about Tim Horton's. The above questions are simply Mr. Morris trying to get you to explore this company in advance. Who is to say he is even close on what we should have done to prepare. If we truly collaborate, then each person in the class should be crawling over different parts of the company website to learn all we can. And if we have time, we should jump out of the company website and google current issues Tim Horton's (and the entire industry) is wrestling with. So go forth and prepare for this unique time we have with a senior Tim Horton's manager.
Test #2. Audio file. Test to occur on Oct 26, 2017.
Test #1. Audio file
Google new Kitchener head office tour.
March 24, test: audio review.
2000 Employment test answers.
Feb 28, 2017 test. AUDIO review
Outstanding search tips for Google.
Toyota Trip document
Do and don't
Test review for Nov 3, 2016 test.
Alternative assignment to TBA:
Find 3 current articles from a newspaper.
The articles must be from 2017.
Print out or cutt out the article.
The articles can cover ANY topic.
Next, link the articles to our course. Each article must have at least 2 different links. Two of the links must be from Situational Leadership. (M1 type stuff)