Research Project Jan 2018:
8-12 minute presentation / 1 page executive summary.
Room 371 is booked.
Thursday, Jan 11, 2018 - Thursday, Jan 18, 2018.
Economics Research Planner
01: Basic Principles of Economics:
001. I want to give you $2,000.00 TodaysMeet
002. Positive vs Normative Economics. (Pg14, Q4)
002b. Shared slide prez on Logical Fallacies.
003. PPF class activity:
Ploughs vs Bread.
a) Overheads and instructions.
b) Bread and plough cut outs.
c) Blank excel spreadsheet to chart progress.
Clear out old numbers.
2017 Super efficient Plough/Plow production.
004. Economies of Scale/Diminishing returns:
Fun with legumes exercise (excel).
Previous example: legumes exercise.
Note. Adjust Y axes scale.
Room design for Beans experiment.
2017 Super efficient Bean Team.
005. Identifying the reasoning error. Pg 24, Q#6
02. Productivity Resources and Economic Systems:
001. "Make as much money as you can" opening exercise.
Excel file with 2 tabs: Group PDF and Overall class PDF.
002. PPT presentation of chapter by Mr. Morris
Page 43. Q1 d,e,f,g. Conflicting goals.
Page 43. Q2. Regional differences.
Page 43. Q3. Inflation and deflation bad.
Page 41-42. Foodbanks. Q3 a,b,c, Q4. Should we debate Q4? Great background video on canned food drives.
Page 46, Q10. Canadian economic goals. Use links below.
Worksheet (Word). PDF.
3 example articles.
Bombardier sells 125 C-Series jets to Delta X 220%.
004. Left wing vs Right wing:
HO explaining L vs R by topic.
Blank L vs R worksheet. PDF
005. Labour Productivity Growth:
Questions for above: Word, PDF
Personal productivity ideas.
006. Modern Marvel. Ford and the assembly line.
Part 1. 9:46
Part 2. 8:09. For doubles wages to solve his TO problem. Other parts follow automatically: 9:09, 8:18, 7:10
03. The Evolution of Economic Thought: (no PPT, this chapter only)
001. Let's make a Slide show together.
Link of final product to be attached above.
Please view the shell in our Google shared folder.
04. Demand and Supply:
001. Baseball game.
New idea. Play game called PIT.
002. Mr. Morris will present the PPT.
It's so important, he has put 9 of the slides on one sheet and might print it for you as he presents.
The PPT ends with the Belgium farmers milk crisis.
Page 77. Q 1, 2, 3, 4.
Page 90. Q1.
Page 90. Q2. Hint. Chart oil and gas!
Page 92-93. Q1, 2, 3, 4, not 5, 6, 7, 8.
Option: Echo Boomers. Page 82. Q1, 2.
003b. Fun with Supply and Demand. 20 situations. PPTX, PDF.
004. Orange Crop damaged.
Winners and losers.
Draw 4 graphs. S&D for: Apple growers, plumbers, orange box makers, 4th example you pick from winners/losers.
005. Supply and Demand with Hot Dogs. Test.
The test will simply be 12 little S&D graphs.
I tell you what happens for each one, and you draw the result.
006. Dynamic Pricing.
Article and questions or both.
5. Applications of Demand and Supply:
Learning Goals covered in the above Slide show:
Government Intervention: Floor and Ceiling Prices.
Subsidies, Quotas, Rent Controls, Minimum wage.
001. Chapter questions embedded in Slide presentation:
Page 97. Q1,2,3,4.
Page 101. Q1. a,b,c,d,e,f.
Page 105. Q1,2,3.
Page 114. Q1. a,b,c
Pick a partner.
One partner thinks up 10 elastic demand.
Other partner 10 inelastic.
Page 112-113. Opinion piece on minimum wage.
Page 116. Q8.
Great video on elasticity and effect on revenue
Marginal Utility Workshop for current semester.
We will NOT be doing this.
Past year results:
201310 featuring 3 volunteers and TimBits!
201710 featuring 4 brave volunteers!
06. Business Organization and Finance:
Aeryon RESEARCH LAB via Communitech report.
Homework. You will want to read the chapter including the really solid summary on page 137.
Page 123. Q1. Identify the category of industrial activity.
Page 128. Q1. A,B,C,D,E. Assign forms of ownership.
Page 133. Q#1. 5 examples. Vertical, horizontal or corporate alliance?
Page 136. Q#2. Tricky.
Page 138. Q2. See shared Google Slides and use https://www.charityintelligence.ca/ for research in groups of two.
Page 138. Q4. Good corporate citizen.
OPTION: View "THE CORPORATION".
PAGE 139. Q9. A,B,C,D,E. Draw S&D for stock prices.
07. Production, Firms and the Market:
07B. Calculating the costs of production alternatives.
08. Resource Economics: The Case of Labour Economics:
09. An Introduction to Macro Economics:
List of CPI products.
10. The Business Cycle and Fiscal Policy:
10B. Worksheet for Chapter 10.
Pg 242, Q1 & 2
Excel Spreadsheet: Wage to net
US Debt Clock
2016 Federal Budget
2017 Federal Budget
11. Money and Banking: (FROM DRIVE)
2016 Student PDF of slide presentation.
How banks create money. Article with 2 short videos.
Viola Desmond. First Canadian woman on a bank note.
12. Monetary Policy: DRIVE SLIDES
A brief History of the Canadian Dollar.
Monetary Policy: How it works, and what it takes.
Check 4.1, read 4 paragraphs starting at the second paragraph for an easy to read example of how it all works.
P281, Q8 Cards.
13. The Role of Government:
SCREENCASTIFY EXAMPLE USING THIS CHAPTER.
[RECORD VOICE AND MOUSE MOVEMENTS ON YOUR SCREEN TO CREATE A MOVIE]
14. Employment, Recession and Recovery:
001. Let them get Film jobs.
002. Youth Unemployment.
Next, slide down to the table and select a [+] of interest. Max out the view and learn!
Use this site when answering P329, Q4
003. Let's learn together:
Let's study the impact of robots on the future of employement.
15. EQUITY AND INCOME DISTRIBUTION:
001. BLANK BUDGET IN MS-OFFICE EXCEL, V2010.
002. LIVING WAGE STUDY:
1. HOW DOES A LIVING WAGE DIFFER FROM A MINIMUM WAGE?
2. ARE THERE ANY ADVANTAGES TO AN EMPLOYER OF PAYING A LIVING WAGE?
3. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE BC MINIMUM WAGE OVER THE YEARS? USE CONSTANT 2011 DOLLARS. [HINT: MUNICIPAL LIVING WAGE 101]
4. CALCULATING A LIVING WAGE FOR YOUR COMMUNITY. WHAT COSTS ARE EXCLUDED IN THEIR MODEL?
5. WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BECOME A CERTIFIED LIVING WAGE EMPLOYER? [CANADIAN LIVING WAGE FRAMEWORK DOCUMENT].
THE QUEST FOR A 'LIVING WAGE' GATHERS STEAM
MICHAEL BABAD THE GLOBE AND MAIL
SUMMARIZE THE ABOVE ARTICLE.
FORMER SENATOR HUGH SEGAL MAKES HIS PITCH FOR A $1,320 BASIC INCOME. FRIDAY NOVEMBER 04, 2016
16. THE ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT:
17. TRADE THEORY, AGREEMENTS, AND PATTERNS:
Incredible video of container ship travelling the world.
18. FINANCING INTERNATIONAL TRADE:
COURSE SUMMARY KAHOOT!
A great selection of articles we may use:
1. Maple syrup cartel battles a black market rebellion
2. The electric skateboard company that would take over the worl
Top Secret area:
Movie: Hard Times. CBC. A People's History. 1:46
Log on to Curio: Mr. Morris will use email@example.com
No Fears, No Excuses.
Related Ted Talk viewed by millions.
If you do read this book, please track me down and tell me what you thought of it.
Larry Smith presentation at U of W: Change the world.
Investing in Stocks:
Investments Explained Hand Out & questions.
For Q10, see this.
Everything Investors Need To Know About Earnings.
Basic accounting primer:
Amortization Table Questions.
Excel spreadsheet mortgage calculator.
Or use the Google Drive version in our shared folder.
Test review area:
November 22, 2017 test review
October 30, 2017 test review
Chapter 2 audio review recorded in class.
October 2016. Supply and Demand Test. Monday Oct 17.
November 2, Wednesday. Room 371. Audio review.
November 28, Monday. Room 371.
Test Ch 7,8,9,10. Audio review
Test ch 11,12,13,14. Audio Review.
Exam review Jan, 2017:
Article for one of the 7 longer questions.
Sept 2017. Test #1 audio review.
01. Welcome! My story. See page 1.
02. Correct room, TT check, attendance while seating plan created.
03. Web review of course. Course outline.
We have a rigorous curriculum to cover, BUT we want to make it real and current.
Curiosity. Flashing Google cursor always.
At Google, 3M and other innovative organizations, you are encouraged to use company time to chase personal projects of interest.
I support: inquiry, curiosity, questions, bold positions, weak positions, failure, attempts, hard work, risk taking, negotiation, honesty. Together we will look for answers.
04. Day 1 survey.
05. Click here for Fall 2017 Calendar.
06. Ice Breaker.
07. Class rules: Snapchat, Cell texting; addiction. BYOD.
Toronto Star TDSB: Snapchat etc.
Optional class selfies.
08. KCI Economics 2017 2018 Stock Game:
The game opens September 5, 2017.
The winner will be announced during our class on Thursday, Jan 25, 2018.
Be sure to ask Mr. Morris what he thinks about 'gambling' on the stock market.
The password is the second word of the guy in the hat with a capital but no 's'.
9. Question file for Economics Now text.
You will want to read every chapter.
Also read our other text--a daily newspaper! G&M 10 minutes a day for a month = better informed. Perhaps you already do this.
10. Joining our Google Shared Drive.
This is a University level course that includes very readable content from a great textbook.
A detailed PowerPoint will kick off the content for most chapters. PowerPoint can be a poor tool for communication. We will try and keep them spicy and interesting with few if any long paragraphs!! Sometimes though you will just have concentrate and process the material. All PowerPoints [in PDF form] will be loaded on this website. As they are PDF's, the 'final picture' of each slide will be shown. By attending the presentation, you get to...
1) see the entire slide and
2) engage in the discussion that helps illuminate the material.
Homework. Expect 2-5 hours per week for important chapter questions. If you keep up with the work, you will have a much higher chance of success. MSIP is a fantastic opportunity to concentrate on the material.
Class atmosphere: questions are encouraged. If you have a question, please ask. Others will often thank you.
You might get a great discussion going. We might all learn something.
Also feel free to ask to meet me in the hall outside room 367 or during my MSIP period.
Often we can figure out a concept you are having difficulty with.
Much (but not all) of the evaluation for this course involves multiple choice question tests. This approach is a good way to determine whether you have learned the material. It also matches, and therefore prepares you